Dun Laoighre East Lighthouse was built in 1847. It is 17 metres and it became fully automated on 31 October 1977. This lighthouse was designed by George Halpin, that super productive engineer of the Ballast Port.
It was built for £937 pounds and the lights were turned on in Famine time Ireland on the 1st October 1847. It was 41 feet above high water and had a candle power of 12000. As a result of complaints that the light was insufficient, the tower was heightened by 12 feet and could then shine a light on the Mugglin rocks close to Dalkey.
Photos (modified) from Wikipedia.com
[osm_map_v3 map_center=”53.3018,-6.1246″ zoom=”15″ width=”100%” height=”450″ ]