where the land meets the sea

Category archive

Buildings

St Johnspoint Church – Just a bunch of stones?

in Buildings
Ruins of Church, St Johns Point, County Down

Giovanni below was not impressed with St John’s Church. And he raises an interesting debate.

Keep Reading

The monks who were engineers – Nendrum monastic site

in Buildings/Featured/Irish Sea/Prehistoric/Recent
Nendrum monastic site - Sun Dial

There are some wonderful Irish focused blogs. Maybe we need an official directory of high standard personal blogs pertaining to the island. This one is a charm – rmchapple.blogspot.com by archaeologist Robert M Chapple, which contains a wide variety of engaging topics. I certainly will not be trying to compete with someone who keeps a catalogue…

Keep Reading

St John’s Point Lighthouse (and Brendan Behan)

in Buildings/Lighthouses
St John's Point, Lighthouse

St. John’s Point Lighthouse, first shone its light in 1844, and was designed by George Halpin Senior – famous for his expansion of Dublin port. It is the tallest onshore lighthouse on the Irish coast (Fastnet is the tallest offshore lighthouse)

Keep Reading

Sketrick Castle

in Buildings/Castles
Sketrick Castle

Sketrick Castle is a castle on Sketrick Island near Whiterock, County Down, Northern Ireland. It is surrounded by a drumlin landscape some of which is submerged in Strangford Lough as small islands.

Keep Reading

LV Petrel

in Boats/Featured/Lighthouses
LV Petrel

Though now the headquarters for a cruising club on Ballydorn Bay, at Strangford Lough, the LV Petrel was commissioned by the Commissioners of Irish Lights in 1913, and built by the Dublin Drydocks Company.

Keep Reading

Dun Laoighre East Lighthouse

in Lighthouses

Dun Laoighre East Lighthouse was built in 1847. It is 17 metres and it became fully automated on 31 October 1977. This lighthouse was designed by George Halpin, that super productive engineer of the Ballast Port.

Keep Reading

Balbriggan Lighthouse

in Buildings/Lighthouses
Balbriggan Lighthouse

Balbriggan lighthouse was built in 1769 and is a white tower with a flashing light – it did not flash until 1960  

Keep Reading

Baily Lighthouse, Howth

in Buildings/Lighthouses

Baily was the last Irish Lighthouse to be unwatched, when during 1996-7 the lighthouse was converted to automatic operation.

Keep Reading

Casino Marino

in Buildings/Follies

The Casino is located at Marino, next to the Malahide Road. It was designed by Sir William Chambers as a pleasure house for James Caulfield, 1st Earl of Charlemont. It is an example of 18th century neo-classical design. The Casino, meaning “small house”, contains a total of 16 finely decorated rooms.

Keep Reading

North Wall Quay lighthouse

in Buildings/Lighthouses
North Wall Quay lighthouse

There has been a light here since 1820, though this light was only built in 1904. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent ultricies vel lorem malesuada maximus. Curabitur dapibus nisl ut lorem cursus laoreet. Proin viverra elit vel ipsum aliquam convallis. Vestibulum pulvinar, tortor nec viverra vestibulum, augue orci aliquam nibh, tristique…

Keep Reading

Go to Top