The name of George Halpin seems to pop up everywhere in Ireland. And Rathlin Island did not evade his engineering pencil; he designed the lighthouse on the east end of Rathlin. Opened in 1856, it was unique by having two lights in order to improve its visibility in foggy conditions.
Giovanni below was not impressed with St John’s Church. And he raises an interesting debate.
There are some wonderful Ireland-focused blogs. Perhaps we need an official directory of high-standard personal blogs pertaining to the island. This one is a charm – rmchapple.blogspot.com by archaeologist Robert M Chapple, which contains a wide variety of engaging topics. I certainly will not be trying to compete with someone who keeps a catalogue of Radiocarbon…
St. John’s Point Lighthouse, first shone its light in 1844, and was designed by George Halpin Senior – famous for his expansion of Dublin port. It is the tallest onshore lighthouse on the Irish coast (Fastnet is the tallest offshore lighthouse)
Sketrick Castle is a castle on Sketrick Island near Whiterock, County Down, Northern Ireland. It is surrounded by a drumlin landscape some of which is submerged in Strangford Lough as small islands.
Though now the headquarters for a cruising club on Ballydorn Bay, at Strangford Lough, the LV Petrel was commissioned by the Commissioners of Irish Lights in 1913, and built by the Dublin Drydocks Company.
Dun Laoighre East Lighthouse was built in 1847. It is 17 metres and it became fully automated on 31 October 1977. This lighthouse was designed by George Halpin, that super productive engineer of the Ballast Port.
Balbriggan lighthouse was built in 1769 and is a white tower with a flashing light – it did not flash until 1960
Baily was the last Irish Lighthouse to be unwatched, when during 1996-7 the lighthouse was converted to automatic operation.
The Casino is located at Marino, next to the Malahide Road. It was designed by Sir William Chambers as a pleasure house for James Caulfield, 1st Earl of Charlemont. It is an example of 18th century neo-classical design. The Casino, meaning “small house”, contains a total of 16 finely decorated rooms.